Source of the caller



First a brief outline of Samson's life (according to Judges from chapter 13)

Samson was already consecrated to God in his mother's womb. He led the people of Israel for 20 years while the Philistines ruled the land.

Once his own countrymen handed him over to the Philistines. The Philistines shouted in triumph. Then Samson is seized by the Spirit of the Lord and kills 1,000 men with a jawbone.  

Now he is very thirsty. He no longer has the strength to drag himself to the next waterhole. He's afraid he'll die.

1. The call of one who is languishing 


Samson now does the only right thing: he prays to the Lord.

And he was very thirsty, and he called upon the Lord and said, “You have granted this great salvation by the hand of your servant, and shall I now die of thirst and fall into the hands of the uncircumcised?” Judges 15:18 (ESV)

Being thirsty is worse than being hungry. Now I must die of thirst, he prays.

Song according to Psalm 42:2-3: As a deer longs for fresh water, so I long for you, Lord. From the depths of my heart I adore you, O Lord. You alone are my strength and shield; my spirit is filled with you alone. From the depths of my heart I adore You, O Lord. Songbook: You are Mr. Selection 1-4, p.83.

2. Refreshment comes from God

And God split open the hollow place that is at Lehi, and water came out from it.
Judges 15:19a (ESV)

Samson had just wanted to die of thirst, but now he recognized his dependence on God and asked for help. God heard him. He drank and his spirit returned and he revived.

  • Samson drank natural water and he revived.
  • God opens springs for us that flow from him.  
  • He gives water in abundance. According to Isaiah 55:1 
  • Unaffected by weather and season.  According to Sharia 14:8
  • The springs flow into eternal life: According to John 4:14
  • The sources consist of an inexhaustible supply: According to Revelation 7:17

Let us not seek our help from human advisors, but from the Lord! Let us uncover the springs where they were buried and drink the refreshing water.

God caused water to burst out near Lehi.

How important is a single call to the right place! Maybe today is the time when God answers our prayers.

The answer to our prayers is inevitable:

“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. 15 When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. Psalm 91:14-15 (ESV)

3. Many share in the blessing

The source is therefore called En-Hakore (“Source of the Calling”); she is still there today. According to Judges 15:19b.

Maybe today was the time when history was written. But in Jesus Christ the source really still flows today.

Jesus says:

If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’
John7:37a+38 (ESV)

Let us be contagious sources so that many more experience God's salvation. In this way, victories that we achieve with and for God become a source of blessing for ourselves and others and God's greatness becomes visible.

Mayer writes in his commentary: Water is received, a spring gives!

One final invitation:

The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. Revelation 22:17 (ESV) 


First the threefold invitation: Come! and then the last word: Free!

This invitation still applies today. Jesus invites and says: 

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 (ESV)

Author: Egon Waechter
AI-Images: https://www.bing.com/images/create

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Gottes Wunder sehen

Davids Helden

Göttliches Licht offenbart Gottes Herrlichkeit