Protective companion


DE Deutsch EN English


1. Protective companion and host

You Lord are my protective companion on unknown journeys and my host.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4 (ESV)


It is striking: exactly from verse 4 onwardts  the speech changes in the psalmist's prayer. From the third - to the second person. If it used to be said: he feeds, he leads, he gives, he guides. So it says: “You, Lord, are with me.”


Just like a small child on a walk clings to his father's hand when danger threatens and knows my father is there. So, in difficult days, we can cling to the hand of the Good Shepherd and say: You, Lord, are with me. These hands hold us when we have to walk through a dark valley.

And another symbol of his proximity are the sticks: at night the sheep no longer see their shepherd. But they hear the thud of his sticks. This means presence, security and protection and so they can follow the shepherd through the dark valley.


In summary we can sing with Julie Haussmann:

Even if I don't feel anything of your power, you still lead me to my goal even through the night. So take my hands and lead me to my happy end and forever!



2. Communion with the Shepherd

If previously we were talking about loyalty and reliability, now it's about fellowship with him.

He himself takes care of the entertainment of his guest:


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Psalm 23:5 (ESV)


Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:6 (ESV)


Psalm 23 clearly shows God's bounty. He who proves himself to be the perfect host finds his fulfillment in Jesus Christ.


3. Jesus the god Shepherd

He who not only leads his sheep to the best pastures, but also lays down his life for them. He will soon open the door to eternal paradise and say to those who are ready: come in, the festival begins.

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Philippians 3: 20 (ESV)


If we look at Psalm 23, the most important sections are verses 1, 4 and 6 because without the good shepherd Psalm 23 would be ineffective.

He is with us, goes before us and provides for us body, soul and spirit!

Jesus Christ is the great offer of God. Whoever takes hold of it has the precious treasure for time and eternity. Gerhard Bergmann


Author: Egon Waechter
Pictures: https://pixabay.com/de/

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Gottes Wunder sehen

Wenn der Orkan tobt (Teil2)

Wenn der Orkan tobt (Teil1)